nourishment and breaking away

January 31, 2010

in life,talent

i ushered my family into a tight club this weekend: those who love the movie “breaking away.”

billed as a coming-of-age story, it’s truly a film about nourishment. the type we give and take from our family and friends. that we luckily and greedily receive from excellent managers and mentors. that we derive from pride of purpose. and that we need when our dreams get derailed, are discarded, or go bust.

if you haven’t seen it, watch this original trailer and get it on your netflix queue. if you have seen it, i’ve only one word for you: refund?!

Frank Roche January 31, 2010 at 11:47 pm

OMFG…I have seen it 100 times. Wow.

fran February 1, 2010 at 9:26 am

well, i think we know what we need to do…philly screening at ifractal or context.

Paul Hebert February 1, 2010 at 9:38 am

To me it speaks to dreaming, perseverance, being what you are not what others say you are.

fran February 1, 2010 at 9:40 am

i like that. i was also surprised to find messages about tolerance and difference–things that had totally escaped me as a teenage viewer.

and i’m still up for the philly viewing. seems we have quite a fan base.

Paul Hebert February 1, 2010 at 9:44 am

did they escape you as a teenager because they were foreign to you? In other words – you were tolerant so the issue of intolerance was less obvious? Things that make you go hmmm….

fran February 1, 2010 at 9:47 am

like everyone else, i’d like to think i’ve always been tolerant of difference. and i think that’s true, to a large degree. i think it escaped me because it was more nuanced than some of the other messages and less connected to my everyday world. just as i was more simpatico with the dad through this viewing than i would have been at my last.